Our Historic Office — Falconer House

History Of The Lot And The House

The original deed has the house located on Lot 8, North side of Alabama Street. (The later address was 222 South Perry Street.) This is located in what was formerly known as New Philadelphia.

New Philadelphia was founded by Andrew Dexter, James Klink, John Klink and John Falconer in 1817. On August 29, 1820, the United States Government issued a patent to Mr. Falconer for Lot 8 on South Perry and Alabama Street.

John Falconer sold Lot 8 for $150 to Asa Hoxey. The deed is dated June 1, 1932, and was witnessed by Neill Blue and S. W. Shattor.

The second sale was made to Tod Robinson, Jr., from Asa Hoxey. The deed is dated December 3, 1832, State of Alabama, Montgomery County, City of Montgomery formerly known as New Philadelphia and witnessed by John Scott and J. N. Philpot. Lot 8 was sold with four adjoining lots for $1,000.

The Will Of Seth Robinson

It is believed that the house was built between 1840 and 1845 by Seth Robinson. The first recorded document referring to a home on the property is the will of Seth Robinson dated November 15, 1945. This document leaves in trust to his wife, Mary Jane, "his residence and lots on South Perry Street, slaves and household goods."

Why Is It Named The Falconer House?

It is a mystery why the house is called the Falconer House. There are many theories – from John Falconer being a boarder in the house to the idea he may have rented or sold the house.

Construction, Architecture And Restoration

The white frame cottage leans toward New England-style architecture with white fretwork on the porch and the design of the original metal ventilators up under the eaves. It was built originally as near the street as it has been restored.

When seven layers of wallpaper were removed from the mud and horsehair plaster, evidence of the whitewash on the walls was still visible.

Three small arched openings under the front porch are vents for the space under the porch. This basement area was constructed and paved with handmade brick. The servants' rooms and kitchen were located there. There was no inside stairway.

Moving And Rebuilding Falconer House To 428 South Lawrence Street

The Y.W.C.O. purchased the house in 1967 and moved it to 428 South Lawrence Street. Only the front double parlors and hall were in condition to be moved, but the remaining part of the house has been rebuilt as it was. There have been a few necessary changes, such as the addition of modern plumbing and installation of an inside stairway.

When the house was being moved, bricks with thumbprints, footprints and dog prints were unearthed. Also, in the basement, movers found a dome-shaped oven for baking bread and cakes, made of tiny handmade bricks. Long shingles were discovered left over from an earlier roof; a hand-hewn beam 32 feet long, 12-by-12 inches; and metal rings in the dining room ceiling for the "shoo-flies."

Falconer House — Home To The Law Offices of Vickers, White, and Griffin, PLLC

In 2008, Falconer House was purchased by three local attorneys: David Vickers, Richard White and Brad Griffin. Immediately after purchase, the entire inside of the house was refurbished and a new roof was added, restoring the house to its prior beauty.